Friday, July 28, 2006

Messages from Maass

No, not Mars. This ain't a sci-fi post. Maass, as in agent, as in writing instructor.

Bonnie Calhoun of Bonnie Writes is doing all us unpubbed and newbie or struggling writers a favor. She's been giving tips from the useful bestseller, WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL.

Today's lesson continues on "low tension." Backstory is of special interest to me, cause I've put down a whole lotta books, never to be picked up again, because they went into some boring and lame backstory in chapter one or two. Sometimes, egregiously, on the first few pages!

(I have been guilty of this lame and boring offense, so it's not like I am above reproach.)

Hurry over and let Bonnie (channeling Maass) teach you a thing or five.

And wish her a belated birthday blessing.

3 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Thank you for the shoutout! Believe me, I'm learning as much from this review as anyone!

As I type the post, I'm thinking..."Dummy..you just did that!"

I'm learning so much from me! It's one of my several personalities talking! I've thought of several other studies I can do too...as self checks! LOL!

Mirtika said...

Bonnie, the THREE of you should have lunch with me some day. :)

Mir

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Wow, I've never heard of that book--I'm so glad you posted about it, and about Bonnie's posts on it. I'll have to hustle over to her blog and check it out!

-Alison
blog.alisonstrobel.com