Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mel Gibson Loses Face...and Mind?

Well, the respect that Mel got from me for 1. being still married to his original wife and 2. having a large family and 2. being a vocal believer in Christ has pretty much evaporated after his disgraceful performance...in real life.

TMZ.COM reports as follows:

Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.


Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"


Lots of people become utter and total whack jerks when they're drunk. And I certainly knew that Gibson had a history of drunken behavior. I had hoped he was over it.

Clearly, he's not. And clearly, he's got some anti-semitism rooted in his heart, which belies a lot of what he said previously. (Yes, I know, he may have a persecution complex given the Jewish uproar over PotC. Still, come on!)

That doesn't take away from his excellent body of work, but it sure detracts from Mel the Man.

He's officially Mel The Jackass, now.

I hope he gets his act together.

Fortunately, his Christian faith does offer a path of repentance and restitution:

Repentance: He needs to take a good look at his behavior and smell the nasty coffee grounds. First, Mel, confess the sins--with a confessor, sure, but publicly--those sins of drunkenness and arrogance and obscene behavior and lack of respect to women and anti-semitism.

Restitution: I would advise he make some form of financial restitution for the intangible insults he spewed. Considering the woes in Israel right now, a $10 million dollar donation to help feed and shelter the displaced and suffering Israelis wouldn't be amiss, plus a nice chunk of change to the Police Benevolence Association of Malibu and a Women's Shelter.

And Mel, get substance abuse counseling, please. Go on the wagon, sir, and keep your nose squeaky clean from now on. You've shamed the Christian community that supported you, bro, and we're having a hard enough time right now without the added embarrassment.

Yeah, I pretty much think Mel tanked the reputation he'd worked so hard to gain, particuarly whatever he'd managed to keep within the Jewish community and much of what he'd acquired in the Christian one that backed him mightily in his fight to get PASSION OF THE CHRIST distributed. I don't think he's gonna get that kind of backing again, ever.

Mel, you've broken my heart, dude. And I think you've really hurt someone much more important than me--that Jewish guy you made a movie about.


(Hat tip to Margo Carmichael in whose comments section Bodie Thoene suggests that Mel make a movie where he plays Peter, the apostle. Hmmm.)

UPDATE:

He has apologized:

Mel Gibson's statement:

After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.

I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said.

Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry.

I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health.


I'm glad he used the right word: Despicable.

I just wish he'd been much more specific. My gleanings from blogs is that the Jewish community is not buying the apology, and I understand that and sympathize with them. Mel needed to say that straight on: I deeply offended all Jews with what I said, and to all Jews, I say I'm deeply ashamed and sorry.

11 comments:

Margo Carmichael said...

Hi, Mir, I love your suggestion for a $10 million dollar donation to help feed and shelter the displaced and suffering Israelis.

Heaven knows, the press won't suggest that. Notice how they always show the photos of the suffering *other* guys?

Well, like when Joseph was thrown into the pit and became prince of Egypt, God can turn these horrible remarks into something good.

Let's hope He does.

Elliot said...

Hoooo boy.

Mel, Mel, Mel... It's his ranting about Jews that just twists the knife.

Mirtika said...

I'll be honest, if all he'd done was berate the cops, I'd chalk it up to drunken bravado and shake my head at the stupidity of it.

It's the slimy anti-Jewish ranting that did the damage. I suspect there will be wider fall-out than just him paying fines. If this gets wider and consistent play--which I think it will--his Mayan movie will tank and some folks will not want to work with him, period.

Mir

Anonymous said...

I'd rather see the 10 mil go toward displaced and orphaned Lebanese. And speaking of Mel, I wonder what Bobby Fisher's up to these days.

Chris

Mirtika said...

Except he didn't defame the Lebanese. :) So that's hardly restitution to Jews. :D

Mir

Anonymous said...

No, but it would be making a small restitution on behalf of the "suffering" Israelis, who are most definitely massacring innocent Lebanese, and so'll probably be able to use the Karma when what-goes-around-comes-around down the road. Names just do not break bones the way sticks and stones and laser-guided, US-supplied ordinance does.

Chris

Mirtika said...

Restitution is done by whoever feels it needs to be done. If you crack me over the head for no reason, and I get awarded 100K you gotta pay me, it's hardly fitting you give it to my neighbor, instead, just cause he and I have been feuding for years andd oing each other harm.

No, the restitution goes to ME.If I want to help my neighbor rebuild his house, that's up to me.

I also don't consider the Lebanese totally innocent in this matter, as you may guess. They've supported and harbored folks who have been lobbing explosives daily at Israel. They didnt' see fit to stop the daily attacks, and the payback in now in the works.

Yes, I wish the innocents had been evacuated and out of harm's way. The parent's didn't do that..the kids suffer, and that sucks beyond words. But plenty of folks round there back Hezbollah, and this is the price of backing Hezbollah. I hope a cease-fire will come, but I understand why the Israeli's went on offensive.

Which is way off-topic, anyway.

You offend Jews, cops, and women, you make restitution to Jews, cops and women. Which is logical. Adding the Lebanese is a mere illogical kneejerk political jab.



Mir

Anonymous said...

Seem's to've worked though :-)

So more on topic and speaking of "kneejerk", does any other group of people have their own "Anti Defamation League"? Seems like they should be able to field insults pretty well on their own.

And I guess I didn't see it as that off topic. It's a, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..." kind of thing. Sorry to step on your rightous indignation though... okay, maybe a little sorry. Mr. Snarky'll shut up on this thread now.

Chris

Mirtika said...

We all have our kneejerk buttons. :) But no one is without sin, but we all have to at some times cast stones, sadly. I wish we lived in a world where stone-casting was never necessary (imprisonment, execution, exile, war) and one day we will, but tihs is not it.

Mir

The Curmudgeon's Rant said...

Mad Max must have been way, way beyond thunderdome to say what he said.

Mel, Mel, Mel...

Mirtika said...

Yeah, he was in BlunderDome.

Mir