Monday, July 17, 2006

A Lame Press Release That Worked:
It Made Me Look

I was employing the Google Blog Search and came across a link to a rather uninspiring press release. It was so, well, lackluster, that I had to check out the book it was touting.

So, in a weird way, the release worked: It made me look at the product it promoted.

Problem: I didn't check it out from excitement at the novel's premise. I checked it out with this question in mind: Is the writing in the story as blah as in that press release?

Well, here's the release.

And here's the book's site. Find the link for the excerpt.

You judge.

3 comments:

Katie Hart said...

I agree. Very dull press release. But the excerpt wasn't long enough to overcome the press release to interest me in buying the product. If it came up for review, I might give it a shot, but I have no way to tell if the story is boring (and therefore a pain to finish). Intriguing novel idea, though.

(That last sentence sounds quite redundant.)

Mirtika said...

I agree, Katie. There should have been at least a full chapter.

What I read wasn't at all intriguing to me. I wouldn't have read more based on just those few paragraphs. The first paragraph had that shift from "it" to "she" that is supposed to, I assume, mirror the transformation. But I found it just too artsy a technique imbedded in pedestrian writing.

Mir

The Curmudgeon's Rant said...

See, now you made me look too! I agree. It made me want to read the book for all the wrong reasons.