Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Belated Happy Birthday Blessing

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. . .


God Bless You, Dear USA
And Keep You Strong and Free
Through 230 More Years . . . And Beyond



I had intended to post that yesterday.

However, I had a day out with my husband--one errand, a family visit, and a dinner "date" in Coral Gables. His beauty and the pleasure of his company have a way of making me forget everything else, even, yes, blogging.

But in the midst of our enjoyable meal at an Irish eatery, I thanked God for our freedoms and felt truly blessed to live here. And I remembered our soldiers to the Creator of life, the author of true liberty, and the One whose wisdom and holiness defines what is the highest happiness. Yes, I remembered our soldiers, who didn't have the benefit of a lovely restaurant or some fresh gazpacho on a breezy day in the subtropics, because they were and are too busy working and dying and trying not to lose their spirit in a faraway desert land.

I hope, somehow, they a laugh and a tasty treat and a moment of joy yesterday, and today, and something good can come out of the madnesses of war. Even as this nation came out of the madness of a war, and it is a good thing, indeed.

No comments: