Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"The Fortunate Purgatory of Arthur MacArthur" by Chris Mikesell

Professor MacArthur finds himself trapped in Purgatory with an imprisoned dragon. Will he make it out before the dragon breaks free?


Finally, you may read the story the panel of editors selected from all entries as the winner of Dragons, Knights & Angels' fiction contest. It's a story with quirkiness and a fresh look at . . . redemption?

Humor and an unreliable narrator add that extra bit of "Well, did he or didn't he?" that made this story stand out among the competition. One of the judging criteria was "innovative use of the elements." See for yourself if the judges were right.

I present for your reading pleasure, the winner and his tale:

"The Fortunate Purgatory of Arthur MacArthur"
by Chris Mikesell



And here's a taste--the story's opening lines:

I don’t know how I died, but I’m certain it happened at some point. I still eat, yes; drink, of course; and take care of business at the other end of the food chain, as my mother used to say. Nevertheless, I am quite dead. There’s no other explanation for...things.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

That opening line grabbed me. Thank you for making sure we get over to DKA to read these stories!

Sorry to leave your blog, but I have got to read the rest.

The Curmudgeon's Rant said...

Chris has a wonderful, quirky sense of humor. Thanks for the reminder, I’ve been meaning to get back over there and read his story. I enjoyed yours, by the way.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Congratulations to Chris...great job. I'll have to go read it!

Chris said...

Thanks Mir -- and Rebecca, Curm and Bonnie.