Thursday, May 25, 2006

Crawling out of the Valley of the Shadow of Raging Infection

I haven't been able to read or type for days--too busy trying to just breathe. But God and antibiotics and steroids are ever so good.

THANK YOU FOR THE PRAYERS.

For all I know, they helped me get through the hellish weekend without having to call an ambulance. And I was this close to heading for the E.R. But this is Miami, and one would almost rather eat raw slugs covered in shredded beetle dung than go to a Miami E.R. on a weekend.

The sinusitis has been awful, but got worse when the infection took hold lower down in my bronchii. So, I had congestion up top and down low, and days of gasping hard for every breath while shaking with chills from the fever. Sudafed, mucinex, hot tea, and albuterol nebulizers didn't dent it much.

Historical Note for Context: Some might wonder why I didn't rush to get treatment. I've suffered from recurrent bronchitis since childhood. Pneumonia, too. In the 90's, when I was a "respiratory cripple" for a few years, nearly stuck in bed most of the time, I had up to 6 acute bronchitis events a year. If you added up the weeks I was actively ill with bronchitis, it would be the equivalent of 4 months out of each of those years. So, I learned to hate the effects of repeated bouts of steroids and antibiotics. Most infections are viral,anyway, so I learned to live with 3-4 weeks of feeling icky to get over bronchitis, rather than more weeks getting over other complications from antibiotics. I was following my routine of waiting and seeing this time. I waited and saw the airways were shutting down and ran for the urgent care center. Well, no, didn't run. Sort of very, very slowly wobbled.

I didn't sleep for days. That makes me a mite irritable and weepy. Hubby helped me prop myself up against the back of the sectional sofa, pillows to my right and left to keep me upright, so I could catnap an hour or so before the phlegm overwhelmed me into wakefulness.

Hubby took two days off work to get me treated and make sure I got food and water and made it to and from the bathroom without falling on my face. He's a gem of the highest quality. Nice legs, too. Never underestimate the power of beauty to soothe the ailing soul.

April? Claritin didn't work for me. I used to take it for the minimal effect--anything is better than nothing when your nose is running all the time. Zyrtec has worked best. I take Zyrtec every day, also Singulair--both to control my normally insane allergic reactions. So, you might wanna give Zyrtec a go if you ever need it. It's not gonna help an infection, but it's pretty good for the daily annoyances of the allergic type.

Again, thanks for the prayers, you lovelies.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled bit of sofa rest, nebulizer treatment, and water.

3 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I'm still praying for your full recovery!

My sinuses react well to the plain over the counter stuff!

sally apokedak said...

Oh, Mir, I'm so sorry you've had it so rough. I can't even imagine. I'm such a wimp about being sick. I'm still praying. Keep us posted.

Cathy West said...

I am glad you are feeling better.
Hang in there - at least you have lots of 'thinking' time, if you're not totally up to writing yet.
:o)