Thursday, May 04, 2006

Can You Spare a Prayer?

Let me preface this by saying that, if you haven't picked up on it, Mir is a semi-hermit. An urban recluse. I've lived in this neighborhood for 8 years. It wasn't until the last two destructive hurricane seasons that I was forced into prolonged contact with...the outside! And that's when I met some neighbors.

They thought our house was uninhabited. I kept watching passersby stop, stare at me in confusion as I sat in a shady spot in my yard, and say something along the lines of, "Oh, we didn't know anyone lived here. We knew someone was keeping the place up nice, but we never saw anybody. Are you new?"

(This illusion of "the empty house" was added to by the fact that I put down the hurricane shutters on 4/5 of the windows of my house and LEFT THEM DOWN. Hey, after the previous seasons, I've learned my lesson. And hubby comes in via the garage, not via the front part of the property. Hence, the "we see nobody.")

I got to know some of my neighbors because of the storms: the hospitable and kind Jamaican lady and her kin. The sassy and sweet biracial gal married to the handsome Asian young man and raising two kids. The Venezuelan family next door. A few Columbians and Haitians across the street. We're a diverse block. About once a month, I'll go out and stroll and let them know, yes, I'm still alive. I'm trying to fight my cloistering nature for my own good. To be neighborly.

But it's a perpetual battle.

All this to say that I can be a very unintentionally neglectful pal. You might call me and I may never get back to you. I'm really bad with messages. I might email you and forget I did, especially if I don't get a speedy reply. I will stop in the middle of something here in my chaos of a house and think, "Hmmm, did I ever get back to X?"

Well, one of my pals got back to me yesterday via the phone. (I do answer it at times.) She's one of those folks you tend to like right off, as spirited as her red hair and freckles would lead you to assume. Smart, sensible, kind, and good-hearted. Much, much nicer than I am, and certainly better organized about these social matters. A terrific mom and wife. And she unabashedly loves Jesus. (That's always high on my list of things I admire in people.)

Anyway, her name is Yami. (Nickname, as you may guess.) She's an asset to humanity. And she's sick.

So, those of you who drop by regularly and believe prayer can do wondrous things, such as heal a body distressed by illness, would you pray for Yami to be healed of what ails her? And...hey, thanks.

I keep waiting for miracles, every day.

2 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

From your lips to God's ears! I'm praying for her!

Mirtika said...

Thank you, Bonnie. Youse a peach.

Mir