Thursday, April 13, 2006

Weeping With Joseph

I've restarted my own Bible Challenge this week, after faltering and halting with the previous 90 Day Challenge that I should have completed sometime this week, had I stuck with it.

I did mention that I had a problem with the self-discipline thing, no?

Anyway, I've designed my own less strenuous challenge. The 180 Day Bible Challenge. Twice the Time, Still The Same Scripture!

So, I'm doing fine, reading along, and I get to the fiftieth chapter of Genesis:

Then Joseph fell on his father's face
and wept over him, and kissed him.


This is where I lost it.

I sat there weeping over my Bible for about five to seven minutes, an uncontrollable gushing of tears that took me by surprise. And I'm getting all wet in the eye right now just typing about it.

All of you who have lost beloved fathers and mothers know exactly what's what with me, right?

I had a flashback to the day my mother died, how I spent three hours by her body, holding her lax hand, rubbing her cool face, my tears falling all over her, hugging her, talking to her as if she could still hear. I totally get what Joseph felt.

Next month will be two years since Mami passed on to glory. I still ask God a few times a week to let her and dad know we love them, miss them, think about them, and can't wait to see them again. I beg God to tell them this. I want them to know nothing's the same without them.

For all those who have lost parents, when you read your Bible, and you get to the fiftieth chapter of Genesis, remember: It's okay to cry.

2 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I do relate...and I pray you have better success with the longer program!

Camy Tang said...

I'm so glad you've restarted your Bible in 90-180 days! My husband just started the 180 day plan, too.
Camy