Thursday, April 20, 2006

GENESIS CONTEST: I'm a finalist! Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Okay, I gotta stop weeeeeeing. That makes my chest--currently hosting a rude visitor named bronchitis--hurt and sets of a coughing fit.

But it's true. The list of finalists in the GENESIS CONTEST of the ACFW has been posted, and yours truly finaled in the SF/F category. (They misspelled my middle name, Ann instead of Ana, but that's just me nitpicking.)

What this means is that my puny chapters go to Kathy "Firebird" Tyers for judging. May she be brutally honest yet mildly merciful.

Here's list of finalists in SF/F, with me sitting there among talented ladies:

Science Fiction/Fantasy/Speculative Fiction
(there was a 2-way tie, hence six rather than five finalists):

Beth Goddard
Rebecca Grabill
Shannon McNear
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Mirta Ana Schultz
Sherry Thompson


As you can see, my chances of winning are seriously undermined by the talent therein represented. Becky Miller alone can whip my prose with one hand tied to a keyboard behind her back. I ain't expecting to win.

But hey, at least the judges didn't think I sucked a couple dozen eggs. Cheers!

NOTE: The names with links are not better than the ones without. I simply had the links for those. I like reading Becky's and Shannon's blogs, btw, and Beth is a smart-as-a-whip lady who posts along with me at the ACFW Forum. Apologies to Mizzes Grabill and Thompson for not having blog or site addresses for them. (Sherry is, however, a member of CSFWA with me.)

12 comments:

Stuart said...

Congrats Mir! :)

Glad to see someone with your passion moving forward. :)

Dineen A. Miller said...

CONGRATULATIONS, MIR!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! YOU GO, GIRL! :-)

Beth Goddard said...

Congrats, Mir.
and what a great idea . .think I'll post on my blog and lnk back to you. ROFL. At least it's good practice for the. . .er. . .tour or carnival. . .whatever it is we're going to do!

Mirtika said...

Thanks, All.

Beth, joining in blog tours is fun. I like plugging a fellow Christian's or writer's site or book. I think getting your website going is good in another way: When you win things or publish stuff, you have a vehicle set and ready to promote what you're doing or releasing. Fans can leave comments. :) People who hate your book can leave comments...er...scratch that.

It's nice to think ahead. POSITIVELY. :D

Mir

michael snyder said...

Huge congratulations, Mir. What a cool, cool honor. Thrilled for you and I hope to be there in Dallas when they make you stand up and acknowledge the finalists...and quite possibly a winner!

Mike

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Congratulations, Mir...I knew you could do it...now stop speaking death...LOL...be like the little train...repeat after me...I can do it, I can do it! LOL..Here's prayin' for ya'!

ScrollSquirrel said...

CONGRATS MIR!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOUR WRITING AND AM NOT SURPRISED IN THE LEAST THAT YOU FINALED! YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know yoru thoughts on how to make it more interesting. I really appreciate your insight. I think I will try to do that day to day writing peek thing.

Love, Squirrel/Cheryl

Vasthi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
So happy for you.
And fancy that, a Latina! Make us proud.
Vasthi

April said...

I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here too... Congratulations, Mir!! That's so wonderful! The finaling, not the bronchitis. Gotta watch out for those ugly germs!

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you, doll!

Chris Well said...

Good job, Mir! I wish you the best in this next round!

:)

Mirtika said...

You guys make me feel so good. THANKS. And lookee there, it's the author of DELIVER US FROM EVELYN, that amazon finally shipped to me. (Of course, I'm cheap, and choose that supersaver thingie.)

I hope I do well, too, but part of me is in a panic over doing up a proposal. This is new territory for me. Prayers more than welcome.

Mir

Synner said...

Congratulations, Mir. (even if it is late). But then, we already knew you had it in you. It takes a lot of courage to put your work out there for criticism and scrutiny. And I'll be screaming my head off when they announce your name in Dallas.