Sunday, April 16, 2006

DAY OF THE EMPTY TOMB: HE IS RISEN!


Matthew 28:1-7
After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning,
Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.
And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an angel
of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back
the stone and sat on it.His appearance was like lightning,
and his clothing white as snow. For fear of him the guards
shook and became like dead men. But the angel said
to the women, “Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking
for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for he has been raised,
as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly
and tell his disciples, ‘He has been raised from the dead,
and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you
will see him.’ This is my message for you.”


That pretty much says it. Without the resurrection of Jesus the Messiah, Son of God, anointed one of Israel, there would be no Christianity.

Christianity is not about rules--though it often seems that way to outsiders and, yes, even insiders--but about the man called Yeshua. Jesus. It's not about his teachings, it's about HIM.

His teachings are important. They point to life. But HE is the life. And without Him there is no life everlasting, and no true life. Period.

Today, we remember that death could not hold him. That's worth shouting about. Dance today. Dance and sing and make noise of the happy kind. It's a good day. It's a day to remember the most wonderful event in history.

CHRIST IS RISEN.

Try to wrap your brain around that one, my friend.

For those who want to know more about this day, Resurrection Day, Day of the Empty Tomb, scoot over to these links:

These three great facts--the resurrection appearances, the empty tomb, and the origin of the Christian faith--all point unavoidably to one conclusion: The resurrection of Jesus. Today the rational man can hardly be blamed if he believes that on that first Easter morning a divine miracle occurred.

from: Contemporary Scholarship and the Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

The Bodily Resurrection of Jesus

What Difference Does Easter Make?

Why Do We Call It "Easter"?


EASTER is not the celebration of a past event. The alleluia is not for what was; Easter proclaims a beginning which has already decided the remotest future. The Resurrection means that the beginning of glory has already started.
Karl Rahner, Everyday Faith

2 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Oooh, child...Praise the Lord! You got that right...We have a Savior that is ALIVE! Hallelujah!

Nicole Reising said...

Hi !

I was directed to your blog by a friend who said you had a great post on things to look for when writing. And she was right - their great!

Which leads me to my next two questions - I also put a plug in my blog about your post as I loved it so and wanted to share it. I hope you don't mind.

I also wanted to copy and print the ideas off for future reference, but before I went that far I wanted to ask you, just to make sure you were alright with it. I hope that you take it as a compliment and don't mind. I realize that your points are just opinions and I can assure you that I won't come back to haunt you if some editor out there someday thinks differently then you and doesn't like how I've done things. *grin*

Either way I thank you for posting and sharing!

You make check me out first if you'd feel more comfortable. www.nicolereising.com/blog

Cole