Monday, October 17, 2005

Welcome to the Mirathon!

Call me Mir. Or Mirtika. Or Mirty. I answer to them all. Just, please, try to roll that "r" a bit and give it a Cuban flavor. Since some of my fave people on the planet have a blog, I'm putting on some classic Beny More on the cd player and joining the dance!

What do I love: My sweet-faced, brilliant, hunnybunny (alias, hubby); my Lord Jesus, who I'm sure sent me sweet hubby out of pure mercy; books and books and, oh, books; music; the night sky; napping.

My fave band: Iona. (Fave album, tie between JOURNEY INTO THE MORN and BEYOND THESE SHORES) Other faves: Out of the Grey, John Michael Talbot, Michael Card, Heart, Steely Dan, Loreena McKennitt, Dan Fogelberg (the older stuff),Tom Petty (early stuff), Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Sarah McLachlan.

My fave novels: JANE EYRE, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, REDEEMING LOVE, MORE THAN HUMAN, THE STARS MY DESTINATION, SPINDLE'S END, SILENT JOE and DUNE.

My fave short story collections: DANGEROUS VISIONS (edited by Harlan Ellison), any of the fairy tale collections by WINDLING/DATLOW (eds), The Martian CHRONICLES, any collection by Doris Betts, RED AS BLOOD by Tanith Lee, HER SMOKE ROSE UP FOREVER by James Tiptree,Jr(Alice Sheldon), the collected stories of Flannery O'Connor, any story collection by Connie Willis, WOMAN HOLLERING CREEK by Sandra Cisneros, SISTER EMILY'S LIGHTSHIP by Jane Yolen.

Anything there you can relate to?

Cool, if so. If not, try something! You might like it.

This blog will likely be concerned with a few obsessions of mine: reading and writing, my ridiculous weight, theological matters, and, if I can't restrain myself, some opinionated right-wing comments. (Yes, I am one of those Red Staters who believes in God and traditional families and thinks that the ancient virtues--including the Biblical virtues of faith, hope and love--form the strongest backbone of a healthy society. So chill out. If you disagree, find another blog to read. There are a gazillion out there for every taste.)

So, as the music plays, the earth turns, the sun burns, the books are printed, the internet buzzes, and the living God moves in the hearts of his people...let the Mirathon begin.

No comments: